Translate

Thursday, March 15, 2012

On Longing, Susan Stewart

Listen to Stewart read her paper, On the Art of the Future. Slought Foundation. Link here.

I have been carrying this book around and reading it since graduate school. I am most interested in the chapters that discuss the souvenir and the miniature.


"The souvenir reduces the public, the monumental, and the three-dimensional into the miniature, that which can be enveloped by the body..." -from Chapter 5, Objects of Desire

I have always been interested in physical perception. Holding an object in one hand. Make a fist and cradle the object with your fingers. Are you holding the object or hiding it? You know it is there, you can feel it. Others do not know. Reverse this. If I occupy space in a large cathedral, now I am the object. I can be the envelope or I can be in the envelope.


"The nostalgic is enamored of distance, not of the referent itself. Nostalgia cannot be sustained without loss. For the nostalgic to reach his or her goal of closing the gap between resemblance and identity, lived experience would have to take place, an erasure of the gap between sign and signified." --from Chapter 5, Objects of Desire

No comments:

Post a Comment