Translate

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Small Home Stoup

Not to be hung, placed by bedside.  Probably France and probably around 1900.  Source is Wiki media.

Research slow on this one. I am getting a lot of "soup" recipes. So, I have been making these bowl like forms, sometimes "shell-like" in appearance, for awhile now. My intent was to put water in them, as I made them out of material that would hold water, but somehow that idea kept getting put on the back burner. I do remember seeing home stoups when I was a kid - I think in my grandmother's house. I am interested in the time and care one takes to make one these and the need/desire people have/had to keep in their home. I am assuming there was a time when these items were massed produced. Most likely home stoups were mass produced after the Industrial Revolution - which I am assuming the one above is an example of. The structure was created to hold Holy Water so people could bless themselves in their home - most usually at night, before bed. Holy Water warded off evil spirits and forgave sins. So, this concept, of Holy Water, makes it necessary to construct this form. The form is literally a container for the idea. The object provides a service needed to satisfy a need/desire. Who created the need/desire? And why do people believe?

No comments:

Post a Comment